No Ifs, Ands or 'Butts' About It
So in my very exciting summer life, I was watching Seventh Heaven yesterday afternoon (yes, it's an oldie but a goodie - kinda cheesy because the family always seems to know what to say when to say it and everything always works out in the end...but who doesn't love a little cheese now and then??).
In this particular episode, one of the older siblings was angry at her younger brother for calling her a "Big Butt," although every time the word "butt" was mentioned, it was bleeped out. At first I just laughed at the absurdity of bleeping out such a harmless word, but then, as I thought about it, appreciated the decency of the older show and how TV used to be a place where you didn't have to worry so much about what kids saw or heard. Now, you never know what you are going to see in the commercials between a family TV show.
It seems that more and more, I dislike the shows on TV (minus The Office, The Biggest Loser and LOST, of course :) and find myself rolling my eyes at the so-called "creative genius" writers and directors seem to have these days for the upcoming movies and TV series.
Maybe someday the trend of TV shows will follow the clothing trend - looping back a generation or two to something that was good to begin with. Who knows.
In this particular episode, one of the older siblings was angry at her younger brother for calling her a "Big Butt," although every time the word "butt" was mentioned, it was bleeped out. At first I just laughed at the absurdity of bleeping out such a harmless word, but then, as I thought about it, appreciated the decency of the older show and how TV used to be a place where you didn't have to worry so much about what kids saw or heard. Now, you never know what you are going to see in the commercials between a family TV show.
It seems that more and more, I dislike the shows on TV (minus The Office, The Biggest Loser and LOST, of course :) and find myself rolling my eyes at the so-called "creative genius" writers and directors seem to have these days for the upcoming movies and TV series.
Maybe someday the trend of TV shows will follow the clothing trend - looping back a generation or two to something that was good to begin with. Who knows.

» Post a Comment