<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://draft.blogger.com/navbar/29218081?origin\x3dhttp://shellbell-ahora.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

ahora

attempting to slow down and take in a bit more of my life and what's going on around me
 

Asia Update


Since he left for SE Asia with people from the CICW and Calvin Seminary, Kent has tried to keep in contact as much as possible. Through Skype we have been able to talk on numerous occasions from opposite sides of the globe. Although we have not had the luxury of being able to talk for many extended periods of time, I can report that Kent and the group (Anne, Emily, Joel, Bert and wife Bette, John, Jay and wife Machelle) had a wonderful and safe time in Manila, Philippines. It was rough at first adjusting to the 12 hour difference and then, on top of that, putting in 12-14 hour days every day, never having a dull moment. They met many wonderful people and cultivated friendships with them, making it difficult to say good-bye; however, their experiences in Makati really opened their eyes to the extreme poverty that exists in various parts of our world. Here is a portion of an email I received from Kent on August 15th:
------
We left Manila this morning... difficult to say goodbye to so many people we've grown close to this past week...Spent most of yesterday in a small town about 100km south of Manila in a village where crwrc is working with a group of women to develop a business... twenty two women who have each profited about 200 pesos in the past six months... which is what I spent on coffee every morning as I walked to the church this past week...Last night I spoke on a panel and waxed eloquent about the Trinity in contemporary worship (only two songs in the past twenty years talk about God's Triune activity). That was cool. I also spoke about music within the context of culture... I told all the philipinos to write music that applies most pastorally to their particular cultural context, and told them not to buy into everything American as it is, music included. We had a great conversation.
------
Tuesday night Kent called to tell me that they had made it safely to Jakarta, Indonesia and then he called me again last night say that they made it safely to a town about 100 miles outside of Jakarta, the place where they will be for the next week. He raved about the hospitality and about the beauty of the area. It was a very brief conversation, but he sounded quite enthusiastic and excited to be there. I'm sure the feeling is felt by the rest of the group as well. The group has gelled amazingly and they are really enjoying each other's company (and Jay and Michelle celebrated their 19th anniversary on their flight from the Philippines to Indonesia). They will leave for their last destination, Singapore, on the 23rd and will return home on the 27th.

Until then, here are some prayer requests that Kent has asked prayer for:
- That they can find the words to say as they participate in panel discussions.
- That the cease-fire in Lebanon will last...tensions in Jakarta are very high.
- That they will be able to communicate and have meaningful conversations with the people there -
the language barrier will be significant.

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

At 6:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're great!
Say hello to Bert P., Joel N. and Ms. Zaki.

David
krishandoyo@yahoo.com
GKI Sangkrah Solo
Indonesia    



At 8:26 AM, Blogger shellbell said...

They are great, aren't they?? And I will tell them you said hello!

blessings,
Shelly    



At 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so grateful that God had sent them to Indonesia for the Worship Seminar. I really feel excited about what they have presented and I think we need to learn more from them. They are so kind and very friendly,too. Give my best regards for Mr.Bert Polman and his wife, Ms.Anne Zaki, Mr.Joel N., Ms. Emily, and others.

God bless you all,
Naomi
hukom_naomi@yahoo.com
GKI Pondok Tjandra, Waru-Surabaya-East Java,Indonesia    



» Post a Comment
 
   





© 2006 ahora | Blogger Templates by Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to Make Money Online at GeckoandFly