And So It Begins...
Back in Michigan again...first day of my last year of college - crazy! I can't believe it. Part of me is super excited, and another part of me is incredibly nervous - moreso for student teaching in the spring than anything else, although I am not looking forward to late nights and early mornings that studying for Calvin College will bring.
On another note, it was great spending a week in Washington with Kent and his family. We both got sick and couldn't do as much as we had hoped, but we still were able to take a ferry to Victoria and take a drive up to Artist's Point - some of the most amazing scenery!
On the trip back when Kent and I had a 3-hr layover in Detroit, I overheard an airport woman (I'm sure that's how she referrs to herself) asking another airport woman if she knew anyone who spoke Spanish...basically, after not seeing anyone come to Woman A's aid, I walked up to her, heart pounding, and said, "I overheard you say that you need someone who speaks Spanish. I'm studying Spanish in college and can't guarantee that I will know how to say everything, but I can try." So I proceeded to do my best to translate for a Hispanic woman who was traveling with a young son (about 6 months?). Boy, was the adrenaline rushing through me when I finally went back to my seat! I have not had the opportunity to study abroad for a semester, so the speaking aspect is definitely the most difficult for me - especially with native speakers! Very intimidating! But it was so rewarding once everything was figured out. It's situations like that that encourage me to keep studying even when it is frustratingly difficult.
Anyway, I was quite proud of myself and thankful that I was able to help. Now I'm off to my second class of the day...and so the college scene, once again, begins... sigh...
On another note, it was great spending a week in Washington with Kent and his family. We both got sick and couldn't do as much as we had hoped, but we still were able to take a ferry to Victoria and take a drive up to Artist's Point - some of the most amazing scenery!
On the trip back when Kent and I had a 3-hr layover in Detroit, I overheard an airport woman (I'm sure that's how she referrs to herself) asking another airport woman if she knew anyone who spoke Spanish...basically, after not seeing anyone come to Woman A's aid, I walked up to her, heart pounding, and said, "I overheard you say that you need someone who speaks Spanish. I'm studying Spanish in college and can't guarantee that I will know how to say everything, but I can try." So I proceeded to do my best to translate for a Hispanic woman who was traveling with a young son (about 6 months?). Boy, was the adrenaline rushing through me when I finally went back to my seat! I have not had the opportunity to study abroad for a semester, so the speaking aspect is definitely the most difficult for me - especially with native speakers! Very intimidating! But it was so rewarding once everything was figured out. It's situations like that that encourage me to keep studying even when it is frustratingly difficult.
Anyway, I was quite proud of myself and thankful that I was able to help. Now I'm off to my second class of the day...and so the college scene, once again, begins... sigh...

glad to hear you guys are back safely. things are going good here...chat with you soon
sara dieleman (oct 26 it will be dieleman anyway)
thanks - it's good to be back...not too excited about the homework and late nights, but it's good.
glad to hear things are going well with you, too. oct 26 will be new day. :)
hopefully see you soon!
what an interesting and rewarding experience in the airport! I would've chickened out--even if I did know some Spanish. Risk, reward ...
It truly was! I almost did chicken out but thought, if I'm going to be a Spanish teacher some day, I need to practice speaking it when I get the chance - what better time to practice than with a native speaker! Extremely rewarding...
» Post a Comment