The First Place
I learned this song at the Worship Symposium this past week. I sat down tonight and played it and recorded it just for myself so I could hear it again. Normally I wouldn't share this with anyone because I don't like to be the focus of anything and I don't claim to be a particularly great singer, but I think the lyrics of this song are so powerful that they must be shared. It's called "The First Place" by Matt Westerholm. The theology of this song rocks - it's so rich. (You can read more about the story of this song here.)
One of my favorite theological quotes is something written by theologian Abraham Kuyper. This quote is reflected in the song:
The First Place
Jesus, the perfect picture of the unseen God
Maker of things we cannot comprehend.
Wisdom, the earth displays Your strength and beauty.
Sovereign, yes, every throne knows You are God.
Every inch of this universe belongs to You, O Christ.
For through You and for You it was made.
Your creation endures by the order of Your hand.
So You must have in all things the first place.
Victor, over sin and death You triumphed.
Firstborn, Youve shown us life beyond the grave.
Bridegroom, we long for You in expectation.
Jesus, Your church rejoices to proclaim.
© 1999 Matthew Westerholm
One of my favorite theological quotes is something written by theologian Abraham Kuyper. This quote is reflected in the song:
"There is not a square inch
in the whole domain of human existence
over which Christ, who is Sovereign over all,
does not cry: Mine!"
in the whole domain of human existence
over which Christ, who is Sovereign over all,
does not cry: Mine!"
The First Place
Jesus, the perfect picture of the unseen God
Maker of things we cannot comprehend.
Wisdom, the earth displays Your strength and beauty.
Sovereign, yes, every throne knows You are God.
Every inch of this universe belongs to You, O Christ.
For through You and for You it was made.
Your creation endures by the order of Your hand.
So You must have in all things the first place.
Victor, over sin and death You triumphed.
Firstborn, Youve shown us life beyond the grave.
Bridegroom, we long for You in expectation.
Jesus, Your church rejoices to proclaim.
© 1999 Matthew Westerholm

Powerful and rich with truth! I hope to hear it soon in our worship services. Sung beautifully :)
Love, Mom
» Post a Comment