<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/29218081?origin\x3dhttp://shellbell-ahora.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

ahora

attempting to slow down and take in a bit more of my life and what's going on around me
 

Home Sweet Home Away from Home

Hello all. Sorry I've been a little lacking on my blogging lately. Kent and I haven't been up to a whole lot in the past week (due to writing sermons, both feeling under the weather with some colds, etc), so I took a little break. Mostly for family, I decided to post some pictures of our home away from home so you can visualize our 5-week residence. It really is perfect for the two of us.

First, we can't forget about our bathroom-dwelling friend, la cucaracha, we have "affectionately" dubbed as Cuddles:
Cuddles loves to visit us in the evenings - especially, it seems, the times that I have to go to the bathroom...his presence is usually (meaning always) NOT received well by me. I still shudder when I look at these pictures, but thought you all needed to see what we see most days of the week.


Here's the Liderazgo Juvenil with the group from Maranatha CRC standing right out front (when I took this picture, I was standing in the same place as I was when I took the picture of our apartment (below) - that will give you a little idea of how close we are to this leadership training facility). If you look to the far left, you will a green gate - that is always locked and you need a key to get into the area where we live. Kent and I feel very safe here.

Our apartment:
The windows by the balcony lead to our bedroom.


The gate we have to walk through to get to the stairs (immediately to the right on the other side of the gate) that lead to our apartment door.


The stairs - you can see a small part of the gate at the very bottom.


The entrance to our little Guatemalan home :)


Inside:
This is what you see when you walk in the door: our dining room. You can see a small part of the door that leads to our bedroom on the right.


Our kitchen (looking at it/the entrance from the other side of the dining area). We have a little refrigerator on the floor (to the right) and a few shelves behind the door where we keep our groceries. When we are home during the day, we usually keep this front door open to get a little breeze moving through the apartment.


Our bedroom. Our internet access works the best when we're sitting at that little blue desk. To the left of the desk we have a small closet and dresser.


Iglesia Evangelica: "El Mensaje de Vida":
This is the church that Kent and I do most of our work throughout the week. As you can see there are gates all around the church that are locked during the week. Israel - the really nice janitor who lives with his wife and 5 kids in a section that is connected to the church (right of this picture inside the gate) - is usually the one who lets us in and out when we come here to work. The church is about a 5 minute drive from our apartment.


Kent and I continue to enjoy our time here. We have a few meetings set up with some worship leaders at El Mensaje de Vida to talk about what their vision is for the church and their teams, to ask them questions, to allow them to ask us questions, and then to share with them the things we have learned by being Worship Apprentices and student workers for the Calvin Institute of Christian Worship throughout the past few years. Kent typed up an 8-page "Worship 101"-type document to hand out to the worship leaders (some of whom speak English) and I am going to attempt translating the document into Spanish for those who speak very little or no English. We are both excited about these opportunities to meet with these people and spark a conversation with them about worship - we look forward to learning from them as much as we hope they learn a little something from us.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that bug is absolutely disgusting! good thing kent was there to save you! :)
~katie b    



At 5:51 PM, Blogger Sonny Huisman said...

Cuddles is adorable! Wow! Married only a few weeks and already a family of three!    



At 7:53 PM, Blogger LCHS 2013 said...

...nice...    



At 5:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the bugs like you there!
send them my love and make sure they don't come back to the states with you :) :)    



At 7:09 AM, Blogger LCHS 2013 said...

yeah, no worries...they won't get anywhere near the States...can't get past the Deet!    



» Post a Comment
 
   





© 2006 ahora | Blogger Templates by Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to Make Money Online at GeckoandFly