My Sister
Today is my sister's birthday. Sonny is 10 years older than me. Some may think that, with the age difference, we wouldn't be close, but it's quite the opposite. My sister is my best friend.
When I was young, my family started going through some difficult stuff. Sonny was there for me in ways I know I don't even know - taking care of me, protecting me, loving me, playing with me.
Aren't we cute? :)


I have many fond memories of growing up and going on family hay rides, dressing up for Halloween, her doing my hair in french braids and french twists, her teaching me how to do my makeup, bringing me to Calvin during siblings weekend and showing me where I could get cereal and fro yo (frozen yogurt for the less informed, non-Calvin grads) and dressing up our poor kitties, Paws & Buster (which, after our mom said no when we begged her to let us bring them home when we were at my uncle's barn, we both took our chosen kitten, ran to the car and shut the door. How could she resist?). :) We got a lot of good laughs with these cats.

Many years have gone between childhood and adulthood, but we've grown close through them all. Especially now, we have more in common now than we ever had. It's amazing. I love talking with my sister (it's best in person, but we do what we can despite the thousands of miles between us right now). She gets me. She lets me vent. She vents with me. She encourages me. She prays for me. She makes me laugh. She laughs at/with me. She loves me, and I love her, too - very much.
Had to put this one in there lest you think we're anything but serious. Oh, dear reader - if you think we're only serious, you have lots to learn. ;) These are some pics from a trip I took to Michigan a couple winters ago...we were in one of those moods and laughed a lot!


Check out this nostril flair...pretty impressive, I'd say.

On a more serious note, my sister is one of the best moms I know. She has two beautiful girls that she loves more than anything and, despite the challenges of parenthood, she would do anything for them in a heartbeat. I'm not a mom yet and, hopefully someday, I will carry at least some of her traits as a mother in my relationship with my own kids.
Here is Sonny helping Faith with her piano lessons.


And while my mom has been going through all her cancer stuff (tests, surgery, appointments, chemotherapy, runs to the drug store, moral support, words of encouragement...), she has been right by her side. It has been difficult for me to be so far away while my mom is going through this, but I am so thankful that Sonny has been there and continues to be there for her. She is an amazingly faithful daughter.

Basically, I am so blessed to have been born to this family. I love them all so very much. But today I honor my sister as someone who has greatly impacted my life, has given me an example of how to live for God despite the most horrendous circumstances and is an inspiration to me.
I love you, Sonny. Happy 35th Birthday!!! :)
When I was young, my family started going through some difficult stuff. Sonny was there for me in ways I know I don't even know - taking care of me, protecting me, loving me, playing with me.
Aren't we cute? :)


I have many fond memories of growing up and going on family hay rides, dressing up for Halloween, her doing my hair in french braids and french twists, her teaching me how to do my makeup, bringing me to Calvin during siblings weekend and showing me where I could get cereal and fro yo (frozen yogurt for the less informed, non-Calvin grads) and dressing up our poor kitties, Paws & Buster (which, after our mom said no when we begged her to let us bring them home when we were at my uncle's barn, we both took our chosen kitten, ran to the car and shut the door. How could she resist?). :) We got a lot of good laughs with these cats.

Many years have gone between childhood and adulthood, but we've grown close through them all. Especially now, we have more in common now than we ever had. It's amazing. I love talking with my sister (it's best in person, but we do what we can despite the thousands of miles between us right now). She gets me. She lets me vent. She vents with me. She encourages me. She prays for me. She makes me laugh. She laughs at/with me. She loves me, and I love her, too - very much.
Had to put this one in there lest you think we're anything but serious. Oh, dear reader - if you think we're only serious, you have lots to learn. ;) These are some pics from a trip I took to Michigan a couple winters ago...we were in one of those moods and laughed a lot!
On a more serious note, my sister is one of the best moms I know. She has two beautiful girls that she loves more than anything and, despite the challenges of parenthood, she would do anything for them in a heartbeat. I'm not a mom yet and, hopefully someday, I will carry at least some of her traits as a mother in my relationship with my own kids.
Here is Sonny helping Faith with her piano lessons.
And while my mom has been going through all her cancer stuff (tests, surgery, appointments, chemotherapy, runs to the drug store, moral support, words of encouragement...), she has been right by her side. It has been difficult for me to be so far away while my mom is going through this, but I am so thankful that Sonny has been there and continues to be there for her. She is an amazingly faithful daughter.
Basically, I am so blessed to have been born to this family. I love them all so very much. But today I honor my sister as someone who has greatly impacted my life, has given me an example of how to live for God despite the most horrendous circumstances and is an inspiration to me.
I love you, Sonny. Happy 35th Birthday!!! :)

Thank you Shelly! That was very special!
I love you!
happy birthday Sonny!
Hope we meet for coffee soon!
Shelly... you are such a GREAT person! Your love shines through this post..
going to check out the rest of the posts I've been slacking on.
love - jen
» Post a Comment